Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Second Period

"Reading Between the Lines" is made from three vintage clapboards joined together.

I've come to think of my work done from 2008-2011, give or take a year on either side, as my "second period" of paintings. I concentrated less on a single central image and began working smaller images into cohesive wholes, or as I like to think, wrote a song with harmonies. If an image is a musical note, I string notes together into a nicely orchestrated song by the end of my pieces, lol. All of my vintage images are from my family's collection of negatives, slides, and prints.

"And Thus it Began." This piece includes very brittle, lacy dried leaves which Nature radically decomposed for me. I found them on my daily walks, in the fall, and each one was a work of art. I knew I had to include them in some art. They're completely clearcoated and will last forever. Or longer than I will, lol.

"Pals, Peaks." Images include an artfully designed poem I wrote in the 1980s, as well as scans from an old 1920s children's book that belonged to my mother.

1 comment:

  1. CASEY, AS I SIT AND LOOK AT YOUR THINGS I HOPE AND PRAY YOU HAVE A WILL SO NONE OF YOUR THINGS GET PUT INTO THE WRONG HANDS. THERE'LL BE A DAY WHEN YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO CARE FOR ALL THE BEAUTY THAT IS AROUND YOU AND THOSE THINGS YOU LOVE SHOULD BE TAKEN CARE OF BY SOMEONE THAT LOVES THEM AS MUCH AS YOU DO.

    GRANNY

    ReplyDelete