Saturday, August 9, 2014

August Scenes Around Town


I've been riding my bike a lot this summer, losing some weight and trying to tire myself out so I sleep better. Very stressful summer and every little bit helps! Above, a sailboat off of my town enjoying the gorgeous weather we've had. In the distance along the horizon can just be seen the shores of Long Island, New York. I believe the Sound is about 12-15 miles wide at this point. It's only quick to get their via boat, though. Otherwise you have to drive down closer to Manhattan and take a ferry or drive all the way to Queens and then take the Long Island Expressway out along the island. We used to take our boat when I was a kid. We'd tie up at a marina, walk around, and find a nice place for lunch. It would be nice to have that life today! 

There is a new nature walk/bike way near me. This is a typical section of it, about 10-12 feet wide with that hard stone and sand surface. It meanders along the marshes and woods and ends up at the state beach in town, Hammonasset State Park, which is free to enter if you're walking or on your bike.


Along the walk are a few centuries old stone walls, "capped" by larger stones now so the walk can go over them. I love New England for these stone walls. Often they're in woods now, with the former pastures long since given over to forest. 

Someone may have thrown some flower seeds along the nature walk. This is a pretty pink bachelor's button I found.

Another typical view along the walk. So far, during the week, it's almost empty. I run into a few walkers and fellow bike riders but not many.

This beautiful magenta Cosmos was also blooming along the path. 

A lovely vista of the saltwater meadows through the trees. This is what the land is like along our local shoreline—many marshes with what look like islands of land among them. I can't imagine not living in this area as much as I enjoyed Manhattan and Los Angeles in my adventurous younger years.

In the distance what appears to be a frail wooden teepee frame is an Osprey nest. They dot our shorelines. I believe they may be endangered which is why so many towns have erected these permanent nests for them and they're illegal to approach. Some have webcams I believe!

My Victorian cast-iron planters are doing very well this year! With the exception of the geranium and the bright yellow lantana, the rest of the plants are all saved from previous years, and I'll save that geranium this year. In the fall I take a lot of cuttings of my "annuals" and keep them alive during the winter in water. Then in the spring I don't have to buy things I can't afford anyway!

 The right hand planter is especially balanced looking this year.

This pretty little rose is in a container in the backyard. The chipmonks devastated it wherever else I placed it!

My Tiger daylilies are just bountiful this year. They look like they're dancing in the wind sometimes. 

My trusty all-aluminum Schwinn steed! Bought for $75 five years ago at the thrift store in town, I've more than gotten my "investment" back. I really love this bike.

Another beautiful vista of the beach. That's Clinton and Westbrook in the distance.

3 comments:

  1. Just beautiful and SO SO different from where I live. Isn't that what makes blogging SO great?? The friends we meet and the places we get to visit that wouldn't be possible otherwise.
    Hope your summer is going well-we've both had some -uhmmm-interesting times in the last few years haven't we? Thanks for sharing the beauty!!
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the best reasons to blog! I've "met" so many people here and on Facebook these days. Summer is absolutely gorgeous, 85 degree days, 65 degree nights, low humidity. Very odd for us! But it's also a horrible summer for me. I've had very, very little work from the publisher which was just sold to new owners. Trying to sell my car and some antiques to pay the rent and I'm 2 months behind already. Hopefully something will change soon, for the better! xxoo-casey

      Delete
  2. I AGREE WITH MARE AND YOU. I NEVER WOULD'VE EVER THOUGHT I'D TALK TO STRANGERS ON THE INTERNET BUT LIKE YOU TWO I'VE MADE SOME LONG LASTING FRIENDSHIP. SOME EVEN BETTER THAN MY EVERLASTING ONES IN EVERYDAY LIFE.MOST FRIENDS I MADE ARE FROM THE ROSS BLOG. ALSO MORE MALES FRIENDS THEN THE LADIES.. I'M THRILLED TO CALL MARE MY FRIEND. SHE'S LOYAL. GLORIA FROM THE OLD BLOG ALSO IS A LOYAL FRIEND. ALWAY UPLIFTING. AND ALWAY TRIES TO MAKE YOU FEEL GOOD. I DEARLY LOVE THE WAY YOU WRITE ABOUT EACH PICTURE. IT MAKES ME FEEL LIKE I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU JUST ENJOYING NATURE. THANKS, GRANNY

    ReplyDelete