Wednesday, August 20, 2014

This Morning at Pink Gardens

I gleefully share my gardens with the birds, the bees, and the butterflies. Here, the shimmer of this honeybee's wings can just be seen above him.

"Geranium Row" in the front yard. I made a border to the large central perennial garden with these pots of geraniums. The blue lobelia is on loan as I nurse it back to health after a deer "attack" at its home in Leete's Island. I'm sort of a plant whisperer to friends. These are the "annual" geraniums I winter in the attic. They're going on 12 years old now.

What I refer to as one of my heirloom marigolds. I have saved the seeds every year since the 1970s. I'm essentially growing clones every year. I have two different varieties but their blossoms always vary a lot on each plant. They're strong and obviously have good plant DNA!

This simple-petaled dahlia adds a lot of color to the garden.

The bees really love zinnias, too.

Fresh multi-petaled magenta dahlia. They change almost hourly throughout their lifespan. 

Bright orange zinnia. The flowers are miniature, about an inch wide, but the plants are 2-3 feet tall.

I planted some zinnia seeds in a pot of marigolds this spring and they're just starting to bloom together.

An almost perfect geranium globe.


 "Put a ring on it!" Each zinnia flower is unique. They're great fun to grow and peruse.

This pink zinnia has a full seven layers of petals. No cake frosting though!

2 comments:

  1. I'VE GOT A FEELING THAT MOST OF THESE FLOWERS WOULDN'T DO WELL HERE IN THIS UNGODLY HOT WEATHER. I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I MISS THE FOUR SEASONS.
    HUGSM GRANNY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Granny, You're probably right about it being too hot in Florida for most of these flowers. I have to water then a lot, every day, sometimes twice a day, and it barely reached 90 this summer. But Florida has its own beautiful exotic flowers!

      Delete